Bill Granger’s Coconut and Passionfruit Slice
It’s like a burst of summer in every bite!
125 g (4 oz) butter
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 1/2 cup plain (all purpose) flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
A pinch of salt
1 cup sugar
1 cup shredded coconut
1/3 cup plain (all-purpose) flour
1 1 /2 cup (12 fl oz) cream
160 ml (5 1/2 fl oz) coconut milk
juice and zest of 1 lemon
1/2 cup (4 fl oz) passionfruit pulp
1. Preheat the oven to 180C (350F). To make the pastry, place butter and sugar in a bowl and beat until light and creamy. Add egg and vanilla essence and beat well.
2. Add sifted flour, baking powder and salt, and stir until combined and the mixture forms a sticky dough. Flour hands and press pastry evenly into the base of a greased and baking paper-lined 23 x 23 cm (9 x 9 in) tin*. Bake pastry base in the oven for 15 minutes.
3. To make filling, place eggs and sugar in a bowl and whisk until pale. Add coconut, flour, cream, coconut milk, lemon juice, zest and passionfruit pulp, and stir to combine.
4. Pour filling over pastry base in the tin. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely in the tin.
5. When cool, slice into squares. Makes 20 squares.
* I didn’t have a tin that size, so I just pressed the dough up the sides of a rectangular one.